Databases | Wild Online - Natural History Audio & Vision
Tips and FAQs
To maximize the effectiveness of your Wild Online search, please read and incorporate these search tips into your search.
What will your database show me?
How do I search?
Are there any search tips?
My result set does not show me the whole entry - how do I see it?
I want to find Vision but my search results shows me entries that are Sound only.
Does the database show records of your whole collection?
Do your vision items have sound?
Are all the items in your database cleared for reuse?
Can I order the material in the format I want?
What if I can't find what I want?
Can I view before purchasing?
What are your rates?
How do I order footage?
How do I find National Geographic natural history footage?
I am doing a school project and would like to illustrate it with some of your footage
- WILD database contains items on Natural History. Each entry shows detailed information of species and landscapes. WILD contains both Vision and Audio items.
- If there is a species in the entry the system shows
Common Name of species
Scientific Name of species
Habitat shown in the shot
Activity of species
Location where the footage was shot
Description of the shot/sound sequence
Title of the program the footage was shot for
Date of Recording of the footage
Camera Person/Sound Recordist
- If the entry is for a landscape or atmosphere only and there is no species in the entry, the Common Name, Scientific Name and Activity fields do not show.
- QUICK SEARCH
- For a quick search - click the radio button for Audio, Video or Both to select sound or vision. The system defaults to Both.
- Enter any keyword/s relating to the footage you want. The more specific the term the better the results eg enter "red tailed black cockatoo" instead of just 'cockatoo' if you want to find that species.
- If you want to find all species that have 'cockatoo' in the name enter 'cockatoo'.
- A keyword search will search across all fields in the database.
- ADVANCED SEARCH
- To refine your search use the Advanced User Screen that enables you to decide which fields you want the system to search. The fields are clearly labelled showing the type of information to enter. Use the radio button to select Audio, Vision or Both - the system defaults to Both.
Use + to join words eg bird + nest
Use "quotes" if searching for a particular phrase eg "sulphur crested cockatoo"
Use an asterisk * to perform a wildcard search eg cloud*
Click on the Title link of the Summary display to see the whole of the entry.
Click the radio button for Vision at the top of the search box/screen before entering your search criteria.
Sometimes certain records are not available online. A wider search of the online and inhouse specialist databases can be performed by the ABC's expert researchers. Fees apply.
No - we have separate audio/effects if required.
Not all items are cleared. Our staff can help you with clearances or with other similar footage that is cleared but may not be available on the database.
We commonly supply the following formats
For vision - VHS, SP Betacam, Digital Betacam, Betacam SX - others (including NTSC) on application.
For sound - DAT, CD
Please contact our research staff - what you want may be available but is not yet catalogued to WILD
Yes - a preview of requested footage can be arranged - with a charge for research time.
As each project/production is different, pricing depends on factors
How the footage will be used
Countries in which it will be shown
Duration of the licence required
How much footage is being purchased
ABC Content Sales represents Nation Geographic footage for south east Asia and Australasian regions. For more information on this collection please contact us.
ABC Content Sales supplies the collections of the ABC to commercial operations and professional bodies only, including program makers, advertising agencies and broadcasters.